Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Tomorrow's the big day!

We had our Meet the Teacher Open House last night and I had 15 out of 18 students show up.  They were a bunch of cuties and I'm sure it's going to be a great year! The superhero theme was a huge hit and I think it turned out well.  I'm really pleased with the things that I made.  Here's a quick tour of the room.  

I forgot to take a picture of my door but I used the superhero clip art and printed out each hero on magnet sheets (I put two to a page) and used a scrapbooking tool to cut them out in an oval shape.  I also used a magnet sheet and made a sign welcoming visitors to the home of Mrs. Cooper's Caped Crusaders.

When you walk in my door, the cubbies are on the wall to your left and there is a long bulletin board above them.  I decided to make a portion of the board a content area word wall (using cards from the fabulous Anna Brantley) and the other half of the board currently has our Warrior's Expectations and our class rules.  The word wall will end up expanding into that half at some point during the year.






I love how my speech bubble title looks.  I found the adhesive speech bubbles in the party section at Walmart.  I didn't know how I was going to use them but they just screamed comic book when I saw them.  I paired them up with superhero masks that came in an activity book that I found somewhere this summer.

The computer area is in the corner next to the cubbies and then you're up front where we have our Smartboard and group meeting area.  This is where I put my Daily 5/Cafe board.  





There is one superhero for each CAFE area: Captain America is Captain Comprehension, Aquaman is Accuracy Aquaman, Flash is Flash Fluency and Wonder Woman is Wonder Word Woman (expanding vocabulary).  I them made the strategy cards for each area and the strategy card shows the corresponding superhero so it's easy to tell which area the card belongs with.

Here's my superhero behavior chart! (Sorry for the glare)






If you stuck through this long thanks for your interest.  I'll post more pictures soon.  I need to get ready to head to bed and rest up for our first day. 

4 comments:

  1. Do you have the posters available for your behavior clip chart and the Daily 5?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm adding more things today. Sorry I didn't see this sooner!

      Delete
  2. I'm planning a superhero themed 2nd grade classroom for this fall. Are you selling your behavior chart on tpt? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm adding more today, sorry I didn't see this sooner!

      Delete